Friday, July 18, 2008

baby steps

On my interim Report Card from December of 1969, my Grade One teacher reports that "She doesn't sing in tune, but she is quite interested in music".

And so it is with my knitting. I'm interested - but I'm not watching the mailbox waiting for my invitation to the Guild. I've knitted dozens of projects, including sweaters, scarves, hats, afghans, and so on. They look okay to me. My mom shakes her head at my knitting - she and her friends have examined my stitches and determined that there is something odd about them. Maybe I turn my stitches or knit continental stitches?

But I joined Ravelry the other day, so I think I have to get a bit more serious about this. Yesterday I finished the baby socks I had in progress. Today I'm going to start by knitting gauge swatches for a new pair of socks. And I'm going to watch Knit Witch YouTube videos of Knit and Purl stitches while I knit to make sure I'm doing it right.

It's one baby step towards the Guild invitation.

No comments: