Sunday, August 17, 2008

a personal best


Minutes ago I crossed the Ravelympics finish line. My event - the Bag-n-Tote Backstroke. My BYOB bag is done - knitted and ends sewn in. Phew! What colour is the medal for 82nd place, anybody know?

Okay, okay, 82nd is not exactly "owning the podium". But in a field of 432, it isn't a bad showing for my first competitive knitting event. Who knew I could start and finish a project like this in 9 short days! But more to the point, the bag looks terrific. At the outset, I got more practice at correcting my gauge. To begin the sides, I faced my fears about picking up stitches. Through the open panel I explored left- and right- leaning decreases. And then at the handles, I learned to "wrap-and-turn" my short rows.

It feels great to have done it. And I can't wait to cast on something a bit more challenging for my next project. If I keep working at it, maybe I can crack the top 50 in 2012!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the bag - perfect size for shopping. The colours would just about go with anything too... bet you are well chuffed with it!