Monday, October 27, 2008

connecting from a distance


If you haven't clicked on the link for the Almost Fingerless Gloves pattern, you may not know that the pattern was designed and written by Rachel - a sixteen year old in New York. Which blows me away. Quite an accomplishment - I'd say she's got a bright future ahead of her as a knitter and pattern designer.

And it really shows you how the Internet allows people to connect. Without the Internet, how would Rachel get her pattern out there? And how would I come to hear of it? From what I hear, the more people who knit and post about her pattern, the more people who "Fave" it or "Queue" it in Ravelry, the more leverage she has to get her patterns published through traditional channels - knitting magazines, pattern leaflets and pattern collection books. And maybe my blog helps a bit.

The second glove is progressing well. As Rachel suggested in her pattern notes, I've reversed the cables on the left glove compared to the right glove. And stuck with the gusseted thumb, 'cause that's what I'm used to. The pair should be completed at some point tomorrow.

No comments: