Friday, October 24, 2008

getting the size right


The pattern for Almost Fingerless Gloves makes a small size pair of gloves. Nothing that will fit me. So my plan is to make the first pair for Linda - she's tiny - and then adapt the pattern to fit Lianne's medium size hands and my large hands. It seemed prudent to knit the pattern through once exactly as written so that I could see exactly where and how much to adjust.

As knitting progressed on Linda's first glove, up the thumb gusset, across the palm and towards the finger(let)s, I became a bit unsure of the measurements I should be working towards. "Continue as established, knitting from marker to marker, until the glove comes up to the place where the thumb separates from the hand." "When the glove goes to slightly below the highest point of the palm, place all the stitches on a piece of scrap yarn." The instructions assume that I can try the glove on at various points in its knitting and adjust as I go. Hmmm.

So I packed my knitting up in my ziploc and brought it work. And asked Linda to try it on. The good news is that they're going to fit perfectly. Lots of oohing and aahing. She loves the pattern and the yarn. Which is great, but I think I've ruined the surprise.

1 comment:

Haley said...

you look like a pretty great knitter to me!