Thursday, April 30, 2009

misgivings

The last couple of days have been spent in a cloud of doubt and misgiving. Worrying over this little sundress. Pondering whether to continue. Is silk really an appropriate choice for an infant's sundress? My thinking was that it'll drape nicely and be more comfortable than wool, cotton or acrylic on a hot summer day. I have some misgivings, but not enough to put the brakes on this project. But I will say, I'm not happy with the 5 knots in the first ball of yarn.

Then, the size. Are newborns really this impossibly small? I've measured over and over again. And checked pattern after pattern. Really? 18" chest circumference? Because it looks tiny! Even Gavin said so as I arranged it for a photo. This solution came to me this morning - I'll finish it, then take it to the mall to compare it to prefab infant clothes. Just to see if the size looks appropriate. Let's face it, the dress is nearly done. May as well finish it and see how it all comes out.

2 comments:

Susan said...

My biggest baby had a 14" head, and baby's chests are smaller than their heads so I think it's OK. Also babies are about 21 inches long when they're born and you can divide them by thirds, heads, torso, legs. They're really oddly shaped little things and their clothes always look a bit square to me.

suse-the-slow-knitta said...

it looks so pretty!