Wednesday, July 29, 2009

finished shawl


Last night I completed and blocked my Swallowtail Shawl lace project referring to this tutorial from the Yarn Harlot. This morning I unpinned and admired my finished shawl. The fabric created from gossamer thin yarn and openwork patterns is so light and wispy - unlike anything I've ever knit before. And knitting lace really gives you an appreciation for the pattern designer. The leaves bud out from centre very symmetrically and one lace pattern blends into the next. Very nice, indeed. Feels like a magic trick. Anything I'd do differently? Use a handpainted yarn and use a larger needle to end up with a bigger shawl.

With grey skies and seemingly never ending drizzle, my photo of the finished shawl is somewhat less triumphant than I'd like. As soon as Mother Nature cooperates, I'll schedule a retake. But in the meantime, what's next on the needles? As much as I'm taken with lace, there isn't much lace weight yarn in my stash. Maybe it's time to get started on a sweater. Because if I wait until cooler weather to start, I won't finish in time to wear it.

3 comments:

suse-the-slow-knitta said...

that looks beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Wow. That's amazing. Your knitting has come amazingly far in a fairly short time. Fab!

Frieda said...

Congraulations ,it looks spectacular !