Wednesday, May 26, 2010

spring knitting and gardening


Ten years ago, when we moved into our new house in this new development, the landscape was pretty stark. Not many mature trees, in fact, not even much sod yet. When planning my garden I had to stick with plants that tolerated full sun and arid conditions. And wait.

Now, ten years on, the trees are maturing and pockets of shade are developing. Last year I tried Hostas for the first time in the back corner of my yard below my Japanese Maple. They thrived, so this year I put in another - a Fire and Ice Hosta with variegated green and white foliage and lavender flowers. As well, I planted a Bleeding Heart plant below my Chinese Flowering Dogwood. Hopefully everything thrives. Maybe I can find a place for some Columbines for next year!

2 comments:

Frieda said...

A garden is a work in progress , requiring a lot of patience and hard work before you can see the results .

I have hostas in my garden that were given to me by my mom . She, the avid gardener , figured that they were one plant that might survive my serious lack of gardening skills . Well ,I guess I am my mother's daughter after all , with her encouragement I developed my knowledge and expanded my garden . Every time I look at those hostas I think of my mom . They've been divided many times and live in the gardens of friends and neighbours . They are a living legacy . She would be tickled pink to see how far and wide offshoots of that original hosta have gone ....

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Wooo! I like how the sock is turning out!