Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Noro Shirakaba


With the yoke finished and the stitches for the sleeves separated, this project is starting to take shape. So far, so good. I'm really happy with the way this Noro Shirakaba is working up.

It's a blend of silk and cotton with a bit of wool. Not the softest yarn to the touch, but knit up the fabric has an almost felted feel - reminds me a chalkboard eraser. Can't help but think it's going to make the perfect summer cardigan. The yarn does vary somewhat from thick to thin, but the variations are not nearly as extreme as I've seen in Noro Iro or Noro Kureyon, so the resulting fabric is more evenly textured.

The variegation is quite beautiful I think. This colourway moves from a light mint green to a dark olive green, but always consistently green - no yucky transitional colours and no jarring colour shifts. Think of it as Noro for the timid ... my favourite Noro so far.

3 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Oh I love the colours! I am so tempted to make myself another tea leaves cardi because it fits so well!

Frieda said...

Looking good , I love the colours ! The pattern is in my ravelry queue , but I have a child sized one in mind .

One pair of Hands said...

I like neck-down patterns. It's a great way to knit for children - easy to add length as they grow. And no seams is an extra bonus. Looking forward to seeing this one finished.