Monday, July 5, 2010

about casting on


With the help of several Ravelers I was able to sort out how to proceed with the cast on for my Caspian Sea Socks. I started with an Eastern or Turkish cast on which involves wrapping the yarn around two needles then knitting around the loops. It's kind of fiddly but it does create a perfect cast on for toe up socks. And it's definitely less work than doing a provisional cast on and grafting it closed later. With this sock pattern the cast on is complicated by the colourwork pattern. Twice as fiddly.

Mostly, though, I'm blown away by the whole idea that I can post a question to Ravelry and get a response from Judy Becker herself. Judy Becker who writes for Knitty. Judy Becker who developed Judy's Magic Cast On. That Judy Becker. Not to mention responses from knitters all around the world who have their own thoughts on how best to do this cast on. Ixtab (Rav name) suggested this variation of Judy's Magic Cast On. Now that looks fiddly, but I think I'm going to try it for my second sock!

Looks like I've got a lot to learn about casting on.

1 comment:

suse-the-slow-knitta said...

that looks interesting, I've only used a provisional cast on for toe up.
ravelry is awesome- yay for Casey & Jess