Friday, September 24, 2010

the no-trouble Tribble


When I was a kid there was Phentex yarn everywhere; I even had several pairs of slippers made from it. And, thinking back, I'm pretty sure I've seen it at old aunties' houses crocheted into kleenex box and toilet roll covers. For those of you not familiar with it, it's labeled as "Olefine Exelon" which is a form of polypropylene plastic. Yes, the same stuff they make tupperware from - tough and flexible, economical and durable.

Plastic yarn wouldn't be my first choice for most knitting projects, but I thought it'd be a good choice for a pot scrubber like this Tribble when I came across it at Len's Mill last weekend. And when Gavin mentioned that we needed a new scrubber for the kitchen, I cast on. An hour or so later, I cast off and finished it up. We're trying it out over the next few days. Hopefully we like it, because I've got enough leftover Phentex to make dozens more.

2 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Oh memories of squeaky Phentex slippers - no Canadian childhood is complete with out them!

Frieda said...

Don't forget the phentex covered clotheshangers . My mom loved those . I still have some in my closet . Oops dating myself lol .