Tuesday, October 19, 2010

the first chemo cap


When my coworker agreed to model the first hat he decided to fold up the brim. That's okay - I think it can be worn either way. The hat sizing is on the large side, but not outrageously so. On my head I can pull it down to cover my eyebrows and the back of my nape. And, he admits, he has a small head.

Overall, I'd say it's a successful project. Successful enough that I plan to knit a second hat very much like the first. Several Ravelers had made suggestions in their project notes to improve the crown shaping by accelerating the decreases which I followed. The resulting shape is very good so I'll take those suggestions again. For a slightly smaller hat I'll cast on 138 sts instead of 150 and start the crown shaping at 5-1/2" from the cast on edge instead of 6".

Now we'll just have to see what Gavin thinks of it. When I cast on this hat, he enquired about a beanie for himself. Given that he lives in t-shirts and flip-flops, there's no point in knitting socks or sweaters for him So this is a rare opportunity to knit something he might actually wear!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The cap looks great. I'm sure there are many size heads out there and this hat will be perfect for someone.

We had this one hat at knit group that was huge --- when we donated it we laughed that no one would want it. Well, it was snatched up quickly by a needy person with dreadlocks. LOL It was just perfect for him.

I'm sure your hat will find the perfect head too.

Frieda said...

Beautiful ! I can't believe it's done already . I'm going to have to call you Miss Speedy Needles ...

One pair of Hands said...

It looks marvellous. I see you're using DPNs. Good idea - no seam. I'm looking forward to seeing your next effort.

WildflowerWool said...

The hat looks great. Someone will be very grateful for it.