Friday, October 15, 2010

meditation


In the early hours of the morning in my quiet kitchen I sat down with the squares arranged in front of me to make a start on assembling this blanket. Because the squares are knit from the centre out, each side has an identical number of stitches and each side is a bound off edge. You don't see that too often in knitting! So it makes sense to me to mattress stitch all these seams the same way you'd mattress stitch the shoulder of a seamed garment. It's working out beautifully - the knitting almost looks seamless from one square to the next.

One thing though, it takes a large clear area of counter and lots of patience. Through the first few seams I reflected that it really wasn't too bad of a job - quite pleasant even, almost meditative. But after about a half dozen more seams, I got bored and cranky. Figured I'd better put it aside for another day and renewed patience. After all, there's no deadline for this blanket, and I really want it to do my best to make it perfect!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A little bit at a time!

Remember, no one ate an elephant all in one sitting.

suse-the-slow-knitta said...

a careful choice of music can hlep with the seaming- I like Elgar !

Allison said...

That is a beautiful blanket! Cranky is not a good state of mind to assemble such a fine piece of knitting.

Frieda said...

Nice job ! Slow and steady wins the race ...