Tuesday, January 18, 2011

the first several rows


It only took me three tries to leave myself a long enough tail to cast on the necessary number of stitches for this scarf. Based on my gauge of 8 sts/inch I've settled on 400 stitches. No matter how much I knit I just don't seem to get any better at estimating how much yarn to unwind for a long cast on. This last time I only succeeded because I unwound more than I ever thought would be needed, and then unwound a couple yards more. Crazy, huh?

The scarf is worked in linen stitch - every second stitch is slipped - so the 400 stitch rows go a little faster than you might think. Or perhaps I should restate that - the 400 stitch rows are not as slow as you might think - because really, there's nothing fast about this. But hey, it's a scarf made from sock yarn! Nobody ever said it'd be quick.

5 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

It might not be quick but it will be pretty!

Allison said...

That's a lovely stitch! I know what you mean about the long tail cast on...

Anonymous said...

Looks very interesting so far.

One pair of Hands said...

I haven't mastered the long tail cast on. I do like the linen stitch. 400 stitches earns my considerable awe & admiration.

WildflowerWool said...

400 sts.....you are a brave knitter!