Friday, February 11, 2011

slow and steady


Work on this second scrappy lengthwise scarf has been slow and steady; until now, there hasn't been much to see. There's about an inch and a quarter knit now. To give you an idea of scale, that's a matchbox with a carved elephant cover in the background. An inch and a quarter isn't much to look at, but it's enough to see that the transitions between colours have been muted by the linen stitch pattern of this scarf just as I had hoped. And enough to see that the long lengthwise repeats are thinning out the bands of the colour exactly as I had visualized. All of which means that I'm feeling a mixture of relief and excitement.

When I picked out the yarn and picked up my needles to knit the original gloves, I had a vision of how I thought they'd turn out. My result disappointed me terribly; I felt like I had failed. For years the gloves hid at the back of my yarn cupboard like an embarrassing mistake; imagine how great it feels to reconstruct them into a successful project!

No comments: