Saturday, April 2, 2011

something to aspire to


Knitting and Crochet Blog Week day six: Is there a pattern or skill that you don’t yet feel ready to tackle but which you hope to (or think you can only dream of) tackling in the future, near or distant? Is there a skill or project that makes your mind boggle at the sheer time, dedication and mastery of the craft? Maybe the skill or pattern is one that you don’t even personally want to make but can stand back and admire those that do. Maybe it is something you think you will never be bothered to actually make but can admire the result of those that have.

I can't say exactly what I find so irresistible about this whalebone man, but when I saw him in the gallery I knew had to have him. It wasn't the most sensible decision I'd ever made. I'd only been out of school and working full time for a few weeks. It would have been far more sensible to put the money towards my student loans, or rent, or even groceries. With a deep breath and a slightly sick feeling, I walked him to the desk and completed the purchase.

I have the same slightly sick feeling when I consider buying this sweater kit. It's gorgeous, no doubt about it. And when you consider that the kit includes the pattern and all the necessary yarn, the price is not ridiculous. But imagine! What if I spent all that money and didn't finish the sweater?! What if I did finish it and wasn't happy with it?! What if it didn't fit? And all those ends to weave in; imagine that!

Hmm. Maybe I'd better practice with something a bit smaller before committing to a sweater - like Fiddlehead mitts!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful sweater! I hope you get to make it some day.

Elizabeth said...

Gorgeous sweater! I think it would look fabulous on you. I understand your reluctance and I think the fiddleheads are a good starting point. Thanks for the link to Virtual Yarns...there are some lovely patterns there.

Anonymous said...

In response to your question on my blog --- I bought two pair of Jones NY shorts (black) and a summery tank top from Lauren in a bright red.

Caffeine Girl said...

That sweater is beautiful -- and intimidating. I've been looking at Fiddlehead for a long time, and it seems like it would be a good way to get to the sweater.

I LOVE the little man. He looks very ancient and primal!

MagicalJane said...

Oh you have to make that sweater. You KNOW you can complete it and it's magnificent. I think you'd love it for sure - will look fabulous on you.