Monday, May 16, 2011

Thorpe


To hang yesterday's freshly dyed Lopi above the upstairs bathtub I had to move the skeins of Norspun out of the way. They'd been hanging there for a week or two, neglected. I should do something with that yarn I thought to myself; something like those hats I'd planned for StreetKnit.ca.

Search the Ravelry pattern database for adult hats knit from bulky yarn and you'll find the pattern with the most projects is this hat - Thorpe - almost 4800 projects. It was certainly quick and easy to knit, but once finished Gavin remarked, "It's okay, but it isn't a hat I'd go out of my way to wear".

Me either, so back to the database search. I've cast on for this watch cap that looks more like something we would wear. It's definitely a nice change to knit full size hats in bulky yarn on 5mm needles after knitting a half dozen tiny hats in baby yarn on small needles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like it would keep your ears nice and warm, but I'm more of a watch cap type myself too.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Mom has knit a couple of Thorpes - they do knit quickly - but I'd prefer the watch cap too... it's just so.... Canadian!