Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Hourglass progress


The leg of this first Hourglass sock is about halfway and you know, this pattern is actually a lot easier than I thought. After knitting the first few rows of the first chart I thought uh oh, this is going to be painful, but so far it's quite the opposite especially having dispensed with the P2Togtbls.

It's very pretty too. My sister had a look at them and has called "dibs", which suits me fine; what she didn't know was that I had picked out this yarn with her in mind.

One thing that's troubling me though: the leg is knit across 70 stitches. Will that make for a baggy sock? Should I switch to smaller needles for the foot? The leg's knit on size 1-1/2 (2.5mm) so I could easily go down a size. All advice welcome!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

70 on 1-1/2 needles would be a bit wide for my foot, but I suppose it depends on your sister. LOL Does the pattern go down the foot. You'll want some negative ease to show off the lacey look.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

My first instinct would be to say that seems wide - I have narrow feet, so I generally do 60 stitches, but my mom has average feet and 64 works well for her. I do 72 for Dave.
The cables might pull it in, but the lace would also give it stretch... maybe check Ravelry - see what other have found...

Caffeine Girl said...

Those are pretty. I agree that 70 stitches seems like a lot. I'd be tempted to go down in needle size. But I'm no expert!