Saturday, March 17, 2012

a monstrous start


I know I should be working on my vest, but then I saw this. For her "Monster Mission of Love" Isaida is collecting knitted monsters to distribute to children in foster homes in her region. What a great idea! And what a perfect project for some of the acrylic worsted yarns in my stash, not to mention safety eyes, white felt and stuffing that I also have on hand. When I pulled out the yellow and gold I wasn't too sure how it'd look, but it's really working for me. I like the two colours together better than I ever liked either of them separately. Weird, huh?

Have a look at the incredible amount of cuteness in Rebecca Danger's pattern shop - it was a tough task to decide where to start! Finally I settled on Daphne and Delilah and why not? It's a two-fer. Besides Daphne has a pouch on her belly; that's got to be handy, right? The pattern is very detailed and very clearly illustrated so it's going well. I started with jogless jogs but I'm not sold on them, so I think I'll knit the rest letting the jogs happen at colour changes. The designer suggests a row counter, but as the colours alternate every three rounds I don't find it too hard to keep track of the row counts.

Now let's see if I can wrap this monster project up quickly and get back to that vest.

6 comments:

Pumpkin said...

This is a really adorable pattern, I know of so many people who are knitting it up right now. It would be perfect for a charity project like that. : )

Alittlebitsheepish said...

The colours look great together, it is going to be one super stripy monster :)

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

It looks like a very fun start for a monster.

WildflowerWool said...

I love her monsters!

Stefanie said...

I believe I favored that pattern on Rav. SO cute and what an awesome idea for foster children who bounce around. Plus great way to use up acrylic yarn, felt, and safety eyes.

pinkundine said...

So cute! I'm knitting a monster at the moment too (I haven't bothered with jogless stripes either!)

Love the colours you're using :)