Thursday, June 7, 2012

Canada Day Swap



What to include? A small crocheted, knitted or woven felted item that is Canadian themed and your favourite recipe that you make for Canada Day or says Canadian pride in a delicious way.


Bonus Extra (NOT required): A small local treat or postcard; something that says Canada or is local to where you live.

Now that my parcel has been delivered to my swap partner I can reveal the contents. Around here fresh strawberries are in season around Canada Day (July 1st) so I went with a strawberry themed package. Assembled within a pint container are a knitted dishcloth, a recipe card for my favourite Strawberry Fields salad, a porcelain strawberry themed jelly spoon, a small jar of locally made strawberry jam and three crocheted strawberries.

The dishcloth is Maple Leaf illusion - viewed straight on it looks like simple red and white stripes but when viewed from an angle the maple leaf motif becomes visible. It's my first experience with illusion knitting and it's quite effective and interesting. I actually knit two. My first attempt turned out more rectangular than square, so I knit a second (not shown) with four extra rows above and below the maple leaf motif. That took care of the Canadian themed aspect of the swap package.

The strawberry jam is made at our local pick-your-own farm. We used to love going to pick our own when we were younger, although I never really did get the hang of getting my home made jams to set properly. An episode of back spasms after too many hours cleaning and chopping fruit at a kitchen counter that's a couple inches too short for a person my stature spelled the end of my home canning aspirations. Much easier to let someone else make the jam for me, or even better, enjoy the strawberries cleaned and prepared at Strawberry Socials organized by local churches.

I'm never sure that I've done the right thing with these kinds of swaps, although I suppose everyone feels that way. Hopefully my partner wasn't expecting an elaborate recipe - I don't do much cooking, and, as Gavin can attest, when I do it's with mixed results. Simple and fresh is better as far as I'm concerned in the kitchen. All in all, it's a package I wouldn't mind receiving, so fingers crossed my swap partner feels the same.


11 comments:

Carolina22 said...

It looks fabulous to me! I'd be thrilled to receive it :) Also LOVE the dishcloth. I've never an illusion pattern like that before.

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

What a fun package! I've never done illusion knitting myself.

Elizabeth said...

I think it's a great package! I love the illusion knitting.

Ashley said...

That looks so cool it makes me want to try it!!

Tracy said...

Love that Maple leaf dishcloth. Illusion knitting is so clever. What a lovely package to receive :)

Stefanie said...

That is one cool, illusion dishcloth! Canada rocks!

Nicky said...

I think it's a fabulous swap package and I'd love to receive it too.

Most swappers feel the same angst you do but be assured that's a lovely package.

Pumpkin said...

The dishcloth is genius as well as the rest of the package. That is going to be one lucky recipient!

Anonymous said...

I would be glad to get those things...your exchange partner will be happy. B.

misty said...

love the socks and the strawberries

Anonymous said...

Yes I loved my package - the jam is gone - love both the washcloth and the strawberrys (they are working out great as a colour shot when I take pictures of some of my knitted projects.