Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Work-in-Progress Wednesday


Over this last week I haven't entirely ignored my advent calendar garland. I've managed to finish two more and make most of a third little mitten. Knitting those little mitts is fun and quick, but the finishing is becoming a bit tiresome. But that's just because I'm lazy, not because of the construction which is actually quite clever.

But for most of the past week I've been working on my first Dragonfly sock. I'm taking part in a mini KAL organized by Dee over at Tangled Up in Sticks and String to kick off the Summer of Socks 2012. Those familiar with the Summer of Socks might wonder what's the hurry with these; after all the timeline for the first pair of socks is the first month of summer, June 21st to July 21st. But there are a bunch of other things for me to do in July, including competing in some Knitting Games which shall not be named.

The Dragonfly Socks pattern is written for 60 sts on size US 1.5 (2.5mm) needles, but I've adjusted the stitch count to 68 sts, by adding a stitch on each side of each repeat so that I can knit instead with my favourite US 0 (2.0mm) needles. The yarn is from Tami at Candy Skein and the colourway is Candy Skein's First Birthday. Neither today's photo nor the one from a couple of days ago does the colourway justice. Too much sun and the colour looks nuclear. Photographed in the shade, as I did today, and the colour looks subdued and flat. Maybe an overcast day would do the trick? For now you'll just have to take my word for it - the colour is gorgeous. And the sock is virtually flying off the needles!

Speaking of Tami, it's Wednesday and she's hosting Work-in-Progress Wednesday over at her blog. Why not have a look to see some of the fun and interesting work that's being done.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just got a skein of that same colorway from candy skein- it is pretty difficult to photography, isn't it?

Memo Box said...

I'm itching to knit some socks. I love the colour of your yarn, so pretty.

Paula said...

Love the mitten garland! All that fiddly finishing will totally be worth it this Christmas. Promise. The socks are gorgeous too, I'm such a sucker for that Candy Skein yarn!

Liz said...

I always find photographing yarn difficult, although my light box is helping a lot now. The socks are gorgeous, and I love all the mittens together. The colours are fantastic and they look really cheerful!

Unknown said...

Your sock looks lovely, your stitchwork a dream, it really is a lovely pattern! A skein of Tami's wool is high on my wish list :-D I love the advent garland idea, so nifty!
x

Kim Sonksen said...

The socks are coming on amazing and that yran is perfect for them

Pumpkin said...

A lot of people have been knitting with Tami's lovely yarn, sounds like I need to break my "no online orders" rule and get a skein of my very own. Also you have been a sock knitting machine! May I please have some of your sock making momentum?

Andria said...

Lovely projects, those wee mittens are cute, but I can't knit the same thing over and over. Your sock is so pretty!

Wool Diaries said...

Oh I love the idea of that garland! And your socks oh my they are stunning

Wanderingcatstudio said...

That's about how far I am on my dragonfly sock too - I'd really like to get mine done by the end of the week so I can count them for this month's stash surmount!

Unknown said...

Your dragonfly socks are really cute and the yarn seems yummy. Argh the tentation for some Tami's yars is bigger than ever...

About te pattern I showned, it's feather and foliage from Cat Brodhi in her new book.

Anonymous said...

The socks look great!

Stefanie said...

Love how the mitts are in different colors. What a fun advent they'll be.
The sock is comin' along very nicely!

Tanya said...

oh lord socks. everyone loves socks. I don't think i'll be able to avoid knitting them for much longer...

MagicalJane said...

I love the advent mittens, and I can't wait to see what you end up using for the dates as something tells me you won't be using those hang tags ;)

Kristen said...

Love the Candy Skein yarn color! And you are so smart to be working on the garland during the year. I've had that pattern in my Rav queue for a while but haven't gotten to it yet.

Unknown said...

I love the color of the candy skein.

Frieda said...

Love those little mittens ! I've had that pattern and another similar Advent calendar pattern in the queue forever . You might just be helping me to move it on up . You are such an enabler !

Those dragonfly socks are gorgeous too , fantastic colour !