Friday, August 31, 2012

Finished Object Friday


Pattern: Morning Glory Socks

Yarn: Top Cat MCN in Black Orchid colourway

Modifications: As usual I upped the primary stitch count so that I could knit the sock on size 0 needles, this time casting on 70 sts. I prefer the fabric I get from finer needles. The sock as designed features a lot of K1P1 rib, but I switched it to a wider K3P2 rib. After doing that the leg pattern no longer flowed into the intended slip stitch rib heel, so I opted for Eye of Partridge instead.

Comments: My neighbour Nina happily agreed to model these socks for me, and then grudgingly agreed to give them back, so a big thanks to her. When she put on the socks she decided she wanted the lace pattern to climb up the inside of her feet and legs rather than the outside as the designer intended. Doesn't matter, does it? The socks look great either way. 

While knitting this yarn I was amazed at how distinctly I could feel that 10% cashmere content. Very nice to the touch and a dream to wear. I guess I'm spoiled now, so I went ahead and ordered another skein :) 

It's Friday - the Friday before a long weekend, hurray! - so check the links at Tami's Amis. Why not see what everyone else has finished? And if you'd like to knit these socks, leave a comment saying so. On Tuesday morning I'll draw from all the comments posted on this blog entry from now until Monday midnight and send a copy of the pattern to the winner through Ravelry!

16 comments:

Sandra said...

Wow!
When I grow up I want knitting socks like you!!! lol
Very beautiful color and pattern. But size 0 neddles?! Oh!
I not tryed use it yet! I think I do not have this size too. Maybe a day, maybe...
:-P

Anonymous said...

Very nice .... congrats on the finish. They look terrific!

P.S. Glad you got them back. If I were the model, I may have run really fast with them. ;-)

Corrie B said...

They are gorgeous, I don't know how you manage to churn so many out!

bookworm-Mary said...

WOW you are the sock queen!! Such small needles would drive some people crazy, so I'm impressed that its your preference to work with them!

Vivian said...

Cashmere is socks, I wouldn't give them back either! so pretty!

Michelle said...

Mmmmm...Cashmere. Delicious. The socks look lovely.

Anonymous said...

Wow- they look great!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

These turned out beautifully - I love your mods.And thank you for giving away the pattern!
I just put all my patterns on sale - 25% off until September 7th.

Stefanie said...

Rich pair of socks, like velvety roses in bloom. Awesome job.

Spinster Beth said...

Beautiful ... and a stunning pattern. I love that color!

WildflowerWool said...

Another amazing pair of socks! Great job!

Charlotte Helle said...

They're beautiful! Great job! Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Alittlebitsheepish said...

Beautiful socks, the yarn sounds heavenly. You are very brave letting someone else try your socks on :D

Cloudberry said...

Beautiful! And the colour is so pretty!

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

These are so lovely! I'm amazed your neighbor returned them without a fight ;).

Rachelle said...

Lovely socks and a lovely pattern. I've knit a couple of Val's patterns before and really do enjoy them.