Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Work-in-Progress Wednesday


October already! Uh oh. Christmas is coming at us fast! The only positive thing about the start of the new month is the start of the KAL for Vorticity socks. When I joined the Socktopus KAL on Ravelry this was one of the patterns that really caught my eye.

At first glance the pattern looked tricky, an impression that was reinforced by big, long charts, but things are much simpler than they appear. The real trick to these socks is keeping track when the end of round shifts - twice within each repeat. Other than that it's pretty easy going. The shifting column of eyelets make it a snap to read your knitting and keep track of the rows without paying much attention. Feels like it's going to be pretty stretchy too.

The yarn is Twisted Top Cat - an MCN with additional twist which should make it the perfect sock yarn. It's definitely a pleasure to knit. The added twist makes it less soft and squishy than the usual MCN, but it should result in a more durable sock, and I'm all for that. The variegation looked pretty subtle in the skein but I'm totally loving how it's knitting up. Drat, I really should have snapped up that second skein, but it's too late now. Somebody already got to it!

I'm double-dipping on KALs with this sock. At the same time as I'm knitting it for the Socktopus KAL, I'm also entering it in the Back To Socks KAL over at the Wandering Cat Yarns group on Ravelry. It feels a little like cheating.  What do you think?

Of course it's Work-in-Progress Wednesday over at Tami's Amis. I've missed the last few, so I'm really looking forward to checking the links there to see what everyone else has been up to!

16 comments:

Alicia said...

Double dip all you want! You're just being efficient. :) An MCN with extra twist sounds perfect.

Anonymous said...

Another stunning sock on your needles!

Anonymous said...

That's going to be a beautiful sock. The yarn is such a pretty color.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I'm with Alicia - nothing wrong with double dipping!
Coastal is knitting up beautifully - Mom is going to be mad she didn't keep that one.

Janet said...

Love that yarn and nice progress on your socks.

Anonymous said...

That colorway is gorgeous! I'm a sucker for ocean blues...

Evelyn said...

Love the variations in your new yarn ... I want a skein!

Unknown said...

gorgeous sock, the pattern and the yarn are a perfect combination

Marianita la AraƱita said...

They'll be lovely socks!!
The yarn is fabulous :)

steph said...

smart knitting, not double dipping! (well, double-dipping smartly!!!!) Love the pattern. And....it IS socktober....I had almost forgotten. Had to go cast on a sock this afternoon!

Pat(ricia) said...

These look to be absolutely delightful! Wow!

I'm glad I posted at Tami's Amis this week - new to this idea - and enjoying the WIPs.

Thanks for sharing the pattern link too - I'll be looking further into it - and if you don't mind ... poke about your space :)

MagicalJane said...

That wool looks soft and cozy and the colours are beautiful. Eek at how long it is until our upcoming sale ... don't forget!

sustainablemum said...

Love the yarn! I would not be able to keep up with two sock KALs!

Elisabeth Andree said...

You really have a good eye for patterns, this sock to be is beautiful too. Love the yarn too, I think it is a beautiful color!

Stefanie said...

Terrific sock yarn. What a pattern - eyelets and cables?

Spinster Beth said...

Well you are certainly prepared for Socktober!