Friday, January 31, 2014

Finished Object Friday: Tea Cozy



Pattern: Tea Cosy by Yasmin

Yarn: Northern Sport (White) and Bravo DK (Red)

Needle Size: US 7 (4.5mm)

Modifications: None.

Comments: You might recognize this pattern - I've knit it before. This time the yarns I've used are less slippery, and as a result the knit was far less unpleasant. After knitting the last tea cozy I had no intention of ever knitting another, however a coworker requested one for a friend so I cast on. Apparently knitted tea cozies are much sought after in some circles, so I may do a few more for a summer craft show. It is interesting to see it in different colours.

Using short floats to create pleats in the fabric is a very clever way to form insulating pockets on the inside of the cozy. From what I can gather this is quite a traditional tea cozy pattern - but I'm no expert on anything tea-related, so please don't quote me on this. The finished cozy is over a 100 grams of yarn ... pretty thick and puffy!

That's it from me on this finished object Friday. Why not head over to Tami's Amis to see what everyone else has been up to this week?


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That would be a very cheery way to keep your morning tea warm. I don't use a cozy, but if I did .....LOL

Congrats on the beautiful finish.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I've never quite understood the practical purpose of a tea cozy.... but as an objet d'art.. they are pretty cool.
I like the red and white combo

Ginx Craft said...

I do like your tea cosy, because it is the one my mum always knitted when I was growing up. We had quite a few of them over the years. Just takes me back.

Frieda said...

That is a very pretty tea cosy ! My mom had one just like it when I was growing up , not those colours but the same pattern ...

Mary said...

That is a cute cozy! I have been looking for cozy patterns- they seem to be in right now

Stefanie said...

It's bright, festive, and patriotic.

WildflowerWool said...

I remember my Grandma using tea cozies like this one.

Babajeza said...

Very thick. Your tea must stay warm for ages. :-)

Carol said...

So cute! I have always wanted to knit a tea cozy and have collected a lot of nice patterns. One of these days…..

Elisabeth Andree said...

That is an eyecatching FO! :) Looks complicated to make.